The Beginning of Junior Year

I'm not even going to pretend like it's a surprise that I haven't posted in over two months. I don't think there is anyone in my life who is in doubt about whether or not I am a total procrastinator. Which, to be truly honest, is just a polite word for "extraordinarily, unbelievably, ridiculously lazy."
So! On to the exciting things!
In my last post I mentioned the trip I would be taking with my boyfriend to Washington D.C. I can not express in adequate words how fun that trip was. I saw everything I wanted to see, and my feet hurt like crazy at the end of each day (worth it!), and I realized that I would never be able to survive in the Big City. Like, ever. I thought that I was interchangeable between small towns and countrysides to big cities and urban life, but I am so, so, so not. The traffic gave me a head ache, and the fact that no matter what time it was, there were people running around? Exhausting.
Don't get me wrong, D.C. is absolutely gorgeous in its own way. I mean, take the National Cathedral, for instance. I have never been anywhere more beautiful. I was literally in awe the entire time I was walking through, almost in tears at how much beautiful stained glass there was. And don't even get me started on the stunning gardens outside; they reminded me of the gardens in South Africa.
Pardon how hideous I look in this picture, and instead focus on the incredible pink roses and the absolutely majestic architecture of that cathedral. It was truly amazing.
My second favourite location was the Library of Congress (for obvious reasons, the primary one being the fact that it's a library). Not only was it flawless on the inside, they had some really nice grass out front.
So the D.C. trip was definitely a highlight. We stayed in Old Town Alexandria, right on King Street, and there were so many things to do! Not to mention the incredible ice cream shops and the delicious food that was pretty much everywhere. Libraries and food: what more could a girl ask for?
But aside from the fabulous vacation trip to our nation's capital, I also got a semi-promotion at my job at my university! I am now an assistant to one of the professors in the History Department, and I'm TAing his summer courses and helping redesign and create a new course for the fall! It's been a really exciting experience, and the professor I work with is so sweet and so friendly; I'm really lucky to be working with him.
I've also entirely given up on trying to squelch my obsession with all things office-supplies related. Over the past few months I've built up a steady collection of notebooks and nice pens, using neither product, and instead option to display them on my shelves and on my desk like priceless artwork. And they are, really, if you look at them the right way. I love notebooks and all the potential they represent. As a writer, nothing makes me feel more satisfied than writing that first word on a crisp, blank page.
I also decided to take up painting. I kept having dreams about painting (even though I am terrible at most art forms), and so with Michael's constantly tempting me with coupons in my email, I took a visit after work and purchased some canvasses, brushes, and paints, and I got to work.
As I couldn't think of any original content that I could accurately freehand, most of my work ended up being fandom-related. Both Legend of Zelda, with all the symbols of the three goddesses (Farore, Din, and Nayru, from left to right, as seen above) and from an eclectic mix of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Doctor Who, and Skyrim (top to bottom, as seen below).
I haven't painted anything since these four. But I am just waiting for inspiration to strike.

The trip that my best friend and I took last summer? Well, next week, just before school starts, my family, my boyfriend, and I are going to take the same one. Except this time we're stopping at my favourite amusement park: Worlds of Fun. And let me tell you, this park is worlds of fun.
We'll be getting back the day before I go back to school, so it'll be close. But we always end up going right when the public schools in that area start, so the park is completely empty. The last time we visited, we didn't even have to get off of some of the rides; they just started them up again if we wanted to go a second time! You have never truly lived until you have gone to an amusement park with no waiting lines.
Naturally, we'll also visit my most favourite museum in the whole world: the Nelson-Atkins. That is something I look forward to almost as much as Worlds of Fun. Almost.

Other than that, the only other exciting things I could possibly think to mention are that I have significantly grown my own personal library (something that I am very pleased by) and the fact that I am going to be getting myself a dwarf hamster next Friday. I would've gotten one yesterday, but since I'm going on vacation almost immediately afterward, I figured it would be best if I waited. And let me tell you, nothing is more difficult than waiting for something that I have my heart set on.
I took this picture today when I went to visit the pet store while I was on my lunch break. If you don't die from how cute this little guy is, I may have to question you under suspicion of you being a sociopath. I don't know why I suddenly became obsessed with wanting one, but I woke up on Wednesday morning and I just knew that my life would never be complete until I had a Robo dwarf hamster.
His name is still undecided. I'm definitely leaning towards something from Skyrim, possibly Brynjolf, my true love. Or Miraak, a close second for my affections. Or Ulfric or Alduin or Paarthurnaax. Because everyone knows that little, tiny, adorable creatures have to have big names that inspire fear. It helps with their little, tiny, adorable egos.

Well. I have one week left until I am officially a junior in college! Wish me luck (especially considering I'm taking 18 hours, not including my writing proficiency exams. Ugh).
(Updates to Favourites page!)
(Updates to Family page!)

"Whoever pursues righteousness and kindness will find life, righteousness, and honor."
Proverbs 21:21

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, that's okay, because I hardly have anything nice to say either.

 

Instagram

Audience Tracker

NaNoWriMo

Cassandra Anne Scott

This is me. A girl raised by her imagination, a pen, and stories scrawled wherever she finds room. An American-African with a flair for dramatics, a passion for baroque, and a dream of becoming a writer.